Modified Bitumen Roofing
We provide top quality commercial roofing services throughout Southeast Wisconsin
Modified Bitumen (MB) is an asphalt roofing membrane with Attactic Polypropylene (APP) or Styrene Butadiene Styrene (SBS) additives which give it properties similar to thermoplastic or rubber. Fiberglass or polyester fibers are added during manufacture to enhance durability. It comes in rolls with a variety of surfaces ranging from smooth to a coating of mineral granules, copper, aluminum or gravel.
SBS modified bitumen roofs are installed with hot asphalt or cold adhesive, while APP modified bitumen roofs are almost always installed with a heat torch. To ensure proper drainage, modified bitumen roofing is only recommended for roofs with a slope greater than ¼” per horizontal foot.
Characteristics of Modified Bitumen Roofing
- Expands and contracts with the movement of the building and temperature changes
- Resists water intrusion and withstands foot traffic
- Several surface finish options available to increase resistance to UV damage and oxidation
- Can be surfaced with a reflective coating to extend the service life of the roof
- Available in black or white
How long does a modified bitumen roof last?
As with any roofing system, the quality of the installation and environmental conditions will affect the service life. The modified bitumen roofs we install typically have a service life of 20 to 30 years.